Places Around The Catacombs of Paris
The Catacombs of Paris
The Catacombs of Paris are world-known underground ossuary in the capital of France. It was constructed in the renovated section of a subterranean tunnels network and caverns in the 18th century. Already in 19th century it became a tourist sight, and since 1867 it was opened to public. After an act of vandalism in September 2009 it has been closed.
The official name of the catacombs is l’Ossuaire Municipal. The cemetery of Innocent which is not far from Saint-Eustace, was used during almost 10 centuries and became an origin of infection for all the inhabitants of the district. In 1785 it was decided to remove and evacuate the cemetery of the Innocent ones. Ancient Quarrier were selected to cover Parisian bones. The removal of bones began after the place has been blessed in 1786, and went on till 1788, always during night hours in order to follow the ceremonial made up of a procession of priests. Since then the place was used to collect the bones of all the cemeteries of Paris.